Tuesday, February 15, 2011

We Split Ways---Day 2 in Zurich

Mike had an early morning train to catch for a business meeting in Heerbrugg, so I was flying solo in Zurich. I knew I would be spending the day at the Staatsarchiv doing research on Mike's ancestors. This is one of the reasons we wanted to return to Switzerland. After asking the hotel desk about using the tram to get up to the university area, I headed out. I am still meeting nice people everywhere---the lady at the tram station counter gave me a heart shaped cookie (possibly a remainder from yesterday) before I even bought my ticket. It tasted of honey and was good. Anyway, I figured the tram system out (just like Paris or Madrid, but above ground instead of below.) I got to the archive and began the search. The staff is wonderful and I was able to work with them and find approximately 65 separate names to add to Mike's family history. Really amazing to read books from the 1700's in German! I acknowledge the Lord's hand in the success. As I showed one of the staff all the family lines I still have to research, she said I should stay for two weeks to get it done. If I could, I would. Tomorrow we leave for Bern and Lausanne.

On the way home I stopped in an olive oil store and tasted different oils and also balsamic vinegars. I tried mandarin orange flavored olive oil, olive oil with an almond undertone, cherry and fig flavored balsamic vinegars, etc. I was intrigued, and you guessed it, the guy in the store was very nice as he helped me sample. Foodie fun. Tonight after Mike returned we went to dinner at a Thai restaurant next door. We read it had good reviews. It was fabulous! We had spring rolls, fried rice with chicken and veggies and masaman curry (one of my favorites). The plates were beautiful and yummy. Our kids would've loved the dishes too. We took pics today, but it is late and we haven't downloaded them yet. By just writing a few things I can remember the day, though. Mike's meeting went well and it is good to be together again.


No comments: