Friday, February 18, 2011

Geneva for Me---And the last meeting for Mike, Day 5

Mike was up and off again early. Then I had a nice breakfast (dark chocolate cocoa, included. Oh and some good birchermuesli---look it up:) My first task of the day was to buy batteries for the camera. I found a shop in the train station and for the first time this trip the lady behind the counter really couldn't understand what I needed. Eventually we communicated and I got my pack of 4 AA batteries (for 8.60 francs mind you.) Which is pretty much equivalent to $9. Switzerland is expensive! The funny thing is, I had commented before the trip that the only time we met someone in Luzern four years ago that didn't speak English was when we had to buy batteries! Go figure. I really need to learn how to say battery in many languages---or remember to take my old ones out and show them what I need.

Okay, I went to Geneva by train today. It was great. I saw the Jet d'Eau (a water fountain that shoots 113 gallons of water every second, 460 feet in the air at 125 miles/hour.) It is set in the lake. It really is pretty cool. It is the symbol of Geneva.

Then I walked to part of the old town, listened to musicians in the square, bought fresh raspberries for lunch, and tried some paves de Geneve---chocolate squares that melt in your mouth. I saw a few old churches, too.

Next I traveled to the Red Cross Museum. This was very interesting to me, being a nurse and all. I learned a lot more about the organization.

Finally I went to the United Nations. Had to go thru metal detectors, show my passport, get a temporary photo I.D. badge, wear a neon orange visitor lanyard around my neck, and of course stay with my guided tour group---despite the security it was really neat to be there. Actually I got to keep the I.D. badge and its a great souvenir. Our tour guide was really funny and likable. I learned a lot about the U.N. also. Overall it was a great day.

No comments: