
It was General Conference time and that also means time to rotate the food in our
72 hour kits. I have been doing this for several years now. After a few trial and errors I learned what ready-to-eat foods will last for a full six months and still taste great. I always check expiration dates and make sure they are good until October when I redo them in the spring, and April when I redo them in the fall. (There will be items each time that last even longer and can stay in the kit until the next Conference.) I buy the food at Costco or Kohlers. It was only the initial investment a few years back. Now when I spend money to put the new food in, I am also getting the same amount of food out of the packs to eat. I buy things the kids eat anyway, that way there will not be any additional stress of "disliked foods" added to an already stressful situation in case we had to use them in an emergency. The foods are all ready to eat-no cooking required (and the cans are all "pop-tops" for easier opening.) Also I do not have to add water to anything. We will already be carrying a couple water bottles each just to drink or for hygiene. It is a lot to try to also carry water for meal preparation---especially if you are in a situation where you can't have fire to cook with. I am able to fit most of the food into gallon size ziploc bags (a few items go into the backpack pockets.) Anyway, the kids look forward to being able to eat the snacks out of their kits each Conference. Here's a list of foods we currently pack (though we have had success with a few other items not listed):
-Kirkland individual-size trail mixes (2)
-Oberto individual-size jerky packs (2)
-Clif Kid Z-bars (4)
-Stretch Island Fruit Leather (8)
-Brothers-All-Natural fruit crisp pouches (2)
-Starkist Tuna pouches (1)
-Swanson small canned chicken (2)
-Handi-Snacks chocolate fudge pudding (1-2)
-Van de Camps individual can pork n' beans (1)
-Western Family small can of apricot halves or diced pears (1)
- Jif creamy peanut butter To-Go containers (2)
- General Mills travel size cereal boxes (1-2)
- TreeTop applesauce cups (1)
- Western Family individual size orange and apple juice cans (2-3)
- Welches individual size grape juice (1)
We also include gum, hard candy, hygiene supplies (including a wash cloth, wipes, bandaids, hand sanitizer, toothbrush and toothpaste, toilet paper, combs, soap, sunblock, chapstick, etc. in another gallon ziploc bag), a small amount of cash, card games, coloring books/crayons, pens, travel-size scriptures, three matching t-shirts (this will identify you as a family group to prevent getting lost/separated), a change of underwear (diapers for Josie) and socks, water, utensils, flashlights, emergency blankets, rain ponchos, whistles, emergency information, (and pocket knives and small cooking burners/fuel in the adult bags.) When Josie was younger I used the individual size formula pouches, bottles, bowls, spoons, disposable bibs, and packaged baby/toddler foods.
2 comments:
Way to be on top of it Steph. I need to do something like this so bad. Thanks for the list of what has worked for ya.
Great job Steph, I am very impressed! I have totally slacked on my 72 hr kits. I was just thinking about the need to re-do them today, so this was a great reminder to stop slacking and start updating!!
Post a Comment