Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rainbow Clouds and a Hummingbird

I had never witnessed Iridescent Clouds before and had to take some pictures. Josie looked up in the sky in May, while coming home from preschool, and told me there were rainbow clouds---and sure enough there were! I saw a news report about them earlier in the week, but this time I was seeing them in person. I guess these clouds are full of ice crystals and on a sunny day at the right angle they have a rainbow color. Nature is amazing!

Have you ever held a hummingbird? Michael did! We had a hummingbird fly into our garage and even though our garage door was open it couldn't find it's way out (we have very high ceilings in the garage.) Finally the hummingbird flew down low enough by the window and stopped. It was covered in some of cobwebs and dust and when Mike reached up to capture it and take it outside it didn't resist at all. Once outside it just rested in Mike's hand. He carefully cleaned it off while it was in his hand and set it on the branch of one of our maple trees. After a minute or so it finally flew away. I had wanted to grab the camera, but because I had no idea it would actually stay in his hand---and I wanted a look at it up close myself---I don't have a picture. It was just another really neat moment with nature.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Hollie Hanson said...

I love nature. Those clouds are amazing! Can't say I've ever seen anything like it!
And I can't believe that hummingbird let it be held! So cool!!

Heather and Kyle said...

I saw those clouds too. They were really cool. Wow way to go Mike!